Monday, April 29, 2013

Mama never told me there'd be days like these.......

I hate days like today. A day that's great, and I'm learning so much and I'm busy doing what I want to be doing. But I'm in pain. So much pain. I smile and I'm polite, of course because I'd never treat a patient or co worker any differently but inside I was crying.

I got home at 4.30pm had a shower, took a strong pain med and an ice pack and laid on my bed for forty minutes. Then I got up, made filo pastries with chicken, cheese and pesto, jacket potatoes and a green salad. Now I'm sitting down. Had a cry and am enjoying a glass of wine.

It's days like today I question what I'm doing. Who am I kidding ? Can I really do this? Work full time, run a household and keep it all together and cope okay physically?

I had a huge day yesterday. From when I left home to when I returned was almost 13 hours. It was my second day working with EMT (Emergency Medical Team). Paul who was my facilitator last July is the owner/director of a private ambulance service. He mentioned to Leanne and I at the time of our Prac that he would gladly give use work, because he thought so highly of us. At the time I was rapt, and didn't think much more of it. I was just happy that he was happy with us. True to is word, he offered both of us the chance to work for him and then he offered us both casual work!!! I've worked at the Big Pineapple Music Festival which was awesome. I've never worked a 12 hour day before and I coped remarkably well we had a few cases and most of those we called QAS as they needed further treatment. On the way Paul paid me the hugest compliment. 'Jen you're the best I've ever seen'. Oh my goodness. I almost cried. To be called the best student nurse he's ever come across was so good to hear. Even during all this doom and gloom prophecy of no jobs, few grad positions, with that endorsement I feel so much better. The following weekend I worked again. We were at the Kilcoy Motocross. I was so nervous. Felt so out of my comfort zone. The flag would go up showing someone was down and we'd grab the bag and I'd ride in the back of a gator. It's like a quad bike thing with a tray back. We were treating people in the dirt and mud!! I now have a blue uniform and boots and cap and look the part! I'm going to learn so much. I've already developed a procedure in my head and now have a plan I can follow.

So while everything is going really well, this afternoon after my first day in Oncology I was hurting and my mind was whirling.

Dinner is done! Peter is cleaning up and I'm on my bed relaxing.

Tomorrow is a new day. And I will hopefully feel better.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad 3

Location:Home. Thank the good Lord.

1 comment:

Teddyree said...

Sorry you're in so much pain Jenny, hope you're feeling better. Glad to hear you're enjoying the EMT work, satisfying to be so highly regarded, well done! Oncology is heart breaking, rewarding too but I found it emotionally draining.
Take care honey and rest up whenever you get the chance x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

The old stuff