Tuesday, July 10, 2012

So much to write, and not enough time.....

I'm in my third week of placement in a cardiac/renal ward. It's an amazing experience and I'm learning so very much. I don't even know where to begin.


  • I've been allocated two patients per shift and they're my full responsibility. Strangely enough, I've always managed to get quite ill ones, who aren't just straight forward. 
  • I'm amazed how sick our patients are. And how old they are.
  • Comorbidities abound.
  • Still grappling with writing observation notes, although the skill is developing 
  • Becoming more efficient at taking obs
  • Love the nurse/patient interaction
  • I don't ever feel stressed or flustered
  • Have no idea how I'm going to look after six patients 
  • Love watching procedures
  • Am amazed at how well my feet and back cope. I find it easier walking and being on my feet for an entire shift than I do sitting and studying.
  • Feel like a part of the nursing team and my work is acknowledged which is awesome
  • The late shifts are more demanding, but also more interesting
  • Both shifts go so incredibly quickly
  • I've watched an angiogram, dialysis, insertion of a vas cath, have inserted a catheter, have given numerous injections, have given IV push antibiotics, have set up a fluid IV, have administered oxygen, I've preempted a patient crashing twice, and then been there to stabilise him. 
  • I find working on the ward very hot. The shirt is hot and my pants are hot too. 
  • The long walk to and from my car is doing me good. 
  • I have to remember to drink a lot of water.
  • I feel privileged to look after these sick people.
A lousy post I know, but it was better than nothing.....





2 comments:

Tami said...

You sure are getting your feet wet in your job! I don't think I'd like the clothes sticking to me though. I hate the heat!
I'm glad you found something rewarding. It helps when you love what you are doing.

Teddyree said...

I thought that was a great post Jenny ... I enjoyed it. Glad you're experiencing it all! When I was in last year the nurses on the renal ward were so excited, I was the only patient under 75 lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

The old stuff