Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Queensland Floods

I've been thinking about this post for the last few days, and honestly I don't know what to say, but I can't let this go without mention either.

Before Christmas and just after, we were concerned about Ricky and Dee and their critters. They left the coast on Christmas Day as they were aware the rivers were rising, and that if they dallied, they may well have been unable to get home. Thankfully they made it home safely, but were on high alert until last week when they were given the okay, as the river nearby was going down. Sadly, though, many others didn't fare so well. Rockhampton, and then this week, Maryborough and Gympie have copped it. So many people have lost their belongings and homes.

But that wasn't the worst of it. When I watched the footage on the TV last night, it was like seeing the Tsunami footage from Phuket a few years ago. Water running through the main street of Toowoomba. The water picking up cars, as though they're just flotsam and jetsam. Unbelievable. I watched some more footage on YouTube today.

Our country is certainly one of extremes, if it's not burning or bone dry, it's copping water. I've lived here for 21 years and haven't seen rain like this before. Our town has copped 20 inches of rain already this year. Wonder if they'll continue building the pipe with which they plan to send our water to Brisbane in???

Brisbane is currently a disaster zone. People are being evacuated and are unable to leave to come home if they live here on the coast. The show grounds are an evac zone.

I take my hat off too the Qld Police, SES and Road workers, who are risking their lives to help others in trouble. It does shit me no end, however, the number of idiots that attempt to cross flooded roads, even after they've been advised not to.

I won't post pictures, you'd have to be living under a rock not to know what's been going on.

We are relatively safe. Peter came home early from work, while he could still get over the soon to be flooded bridge. We've had water in downstairs, but honestly, it's not even worth worrying about when you know what others are going through. We'll throw out some stuff............that's all.

I pray for comfort for those who have lost loved ones. I pray for comfort and shelter for those who have lost their belongings and or their homes. I pray that people will find their missing family members.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

The old stuff