Saturday, December 20, 2008

The many blessings I have


Yesterday was a horrid day. It was also an awesome day.

Marriages are hard work, fraught with their many ups and downs. Fortunately we have a complete devotion to one another and it's fraught with many more highs than lows. Yesterday however, was an extreme low. We, or rather initiated by me, addressed an issue that has been an issue for all the years we've been together - which is 19. The issue has been like a thorn in my side, and, had I not been married twice before, I wouldn't have stuck around long into our relationship. But, my previous relationships have taught me that nothing is perfect. No-one is perfect and if you believe in something you have to fight for it.

I think with me being rather stressed of late, and the onset of Christmas and all it entails, just brought things to a head. And I needed to address it as I couldn't go into next week with this hanging over me. I won't go into details here, as it's private but the horrid day became an awesome day, when we were able to sit down openly and discuss the issue. No denial. No argument. No accusations. Just honest feelings. And a knowing resignation that things do indeed need to change. Yesterday was a turning point for us, and the outcome of our talk, headed our relationship into a stronger and an even more devoted path. I love my husband dearly and he idolizes, me which is a pretty amazing thing to be the recipient of. My respect for my husband, which had hit rock bottom - went up many many notches yesterday.

A day of emotional crisis turned into a wonderful day filled with love. The love of my husband, my brother and my dearest girlfriends. It's amazing how things can turn out sometimes. God's timing - Barbi always says. I love that woman and her wisdom. Yesterday we exchanged gifts. Barbi listened to me and didn't give me one. After her letting me go to Heidi Swapp in her stead, I certainly needed nothing for Chrismas or my birthday coming up. Karen gave me another gorgeous Willow Tree figurine. It's the Angel of Prayer, which after the day I had yesterday made her gift even more poignant. I don't do ornaments. I find dust collectors. Don't get me wrong, I have them, but when you have a small house, I don't go out of my way to collect them, or buy them. These, however, are different. They are beautiful in their simplicity and made special because they are given to me by one of my closest friends. The fact that she loves them and thinks I'm special enough to be given one makes it an amazing gift. I now have three - The Angel of Friendship, which was a Christmas gift, The Angel of the Kitchen which she gave to me when our kitchen was finished, and now my new one. I wonder if three Willow Tree figurines constitutes a collection? I now have them all together and they are just beautiful. They remind me of her, and our friendship. She is one of those girls that you just love being with, and, last time I figured out exactly what it is. She is peaceful! It's weird, because she always talks about how stressed she is, and how busy she is, which she is with four young children, but to me, she's just peaceful. So, last night I was surrounded by wisdom and peace, I was in a pretty amazing place.

Yesterday when I needed someone to talk to, because I didn't know what to do, or whether the problem was all mine. I rang my Mum, first port of call -but she wasn't home. Then I rang my dear brother. We've always been there for each other, and I sent him a sms saying I needed to talk, and he rang me immediately. I just poured my heart out to him. He made me address the situation head on, and for that I am eternally grateful. I am blessed, great friends, great family - it doesn't get any better does it.

Last night, we had a great time. I made my gift tags for Christmas and had a ball stamping and using the new Fiskars Threading Water punch. They aren't elaborate, but they are pretty. I'd made a digital one, which took me five minutes, and then I changed my mind, and decided that I had all this wonderful scrapbooking stuff, which I really need to use. It's funny how I just find it easier making things on the computer, than IRL. We watched music DVDs. The Eagles Farewell Concert, which was great, the Concert for George, which I didn't listen to as closely, but was good also, then we watched the MIKA concert which I would have loved to seen all of. That guy has an amazing voice, with a huge range. We ate Thai from the local restaurant, which was nice but not as good as usual. The rice was quite bland I felt. Karen brought in these delightful mini cheesecakes, and I brought in some mince tarts, which weren't homemade, but still yummy. I came home at around 1.15am. Funnily enough with the day I'd had and my late night, I didn't hurry into bed. One of my close girlfriends is away, and I wanted to email her, plus I sat to see who'd updated their blogs while I was out. I had a great night's sleep - and woke up refreshed. Thankfully it cooled down in the night, so today is a pleasant 26 degrees (celcius) where as it was ten degrees more yesterday - not pleasant at all. The a/c was working overtime.

Today, I've just pottered around. I hung up some tinsel on our beam which retains the new part of our kitchen. The kids have been pestering me, and it does look nice. I have taken photos of all the walls as tomorow we are painting the living/dining room to make it all nice for Wednesday.

Tonight we are having visitors and I'm cooking a yummy but simple dinner. The menu is,
Tomato and olive tart with basil oil
Eye Fillet steak with anchovy butter
Greek Salad
Garlic Bread
Karen's left over mini cheesecakes for dessert.

I was going to post a link to the book, but I think it must be an older issue, mine was published in 2008. It's called 'Easy Summer Food: simple recipes for sunny days.' by Ryland, Peters and Small

2 comments:

Chris H said...

I am so glad you and your husband managed to talk and sort things out. It always helps to talk, not bottle things up.

Tami said...

As always, you inspire me! It took me a long time to figure out that it's not good to bottle things up. However, I do not think I have quite found the nack to sit down and talk things out. Don't get me wrong, we do have a good marriage and we do work things through. I just think if I had that "nack" it would go so much smoother.
Bye the way - I collect willow tree figurines too. The more I get to know you, I smile - because we like similar things - and I have a woman across the world who I look up to!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

The old stuff