Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Toowoomba



We went to Toowoomba last weekend, must update with photos soon......

I first met Dimity in Springbrook late in 1994. If memory serves me correctly, we met at the local swimming pool, one of my many forays into fitness.  It ended up we would meet in the swimming pool, during one of my many forays into fitness.  I can still remember my shock, when we met up again a few days later, at an arranged time, and I was shocked to see her in her school uniform  Dim, was barely 16 and in her second last year of school.  We became fast friends. A closer friend I hadn't had since I'd left school. We did everything together - we partied hard and shopped even harder. Her family welcomed me with open arms, they are all awesome. I spent many hours at her house, either just hanging out or accepting a much appreciated invitation to dinner, especially in those early months when I was in Springbrook on my own.  We became so close, I couldn't ever imagine life without her. Alas, like all good things, I ended up leaving Springbrook. I needed to go home and be with my family while I was awaiting the birth of my first child. And Dim needed to go out into the big wide world and find her own feet.  In the last 12 years, our contact has been spasmodic - due to our busy lives, but we have always re-connected and are both happy that the bond is still very strong, even though we can't spend that much time together. Dim is Billy-Joe's Godmother - that's how much I think of her.  

Last weekend, Dim turned 30!!  We spent the weekend with her and her husband, who is just gorgeous in body and spirit and their three gorgeous girls.  Can you believe it, I had three boys and Dim had three little girls.  I loved her home. It's an old Queenslander and she has it beautifully decorated inside, with all her country bits and pieces.  She is happier than I have ever seen her, and I was glad to spend some time with her, I just wish we lived closer to one another.  

My kids were perfectly behaved - we didn't even know there were six kids in the house. On the Saturday night we had her party, which was held in a pub nearby. She had the tables decorated, pink and green balloons everywhere, and the kids were fed and entertained for a while seperate from the adults. Billy-Joe and I had an absolute ball, boogying the night away. Peter even danced with me a few times, but Billy-Joe stayed with me nearly the whole time.  The band was great, you know one of those bands that plays every song that you know!  Sammy was a little out of sorts, so at one stage I spent it with him on my lap and then later Peter would take him out for a walk and then sat at the table with him. We got home around midnight, so it wasn't a really late night. My hips were killing me due to all the dancing, but it was worth it and I didn't feel any worse for wear in the morning.

Mickey fell in love over the weekend. Dim's daughter Kodie took such a shine to Mickey and they were as thick as thieves the entire weekend. It was just gorgeous.  On Monday he told me he missed her and was looking forward to seeing her again soon.  Dim had the girls write a letter, so it's here sitting on the bench in a large pink envelope. Mickey will be beside himself when he knows Kodie has written.

This is my favourite photo from the weekend.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

The old stuff